This chicken salad is fresh, zesty, herby, and a tad spicy. The avocado base is combined with lime, jalapeño, fresh ginger, mint, cilantro and more to create a refreshing twist on the common chicken salad. It’s definitely reminiscent of spring and summer. Also, this makes for a suitable dish to serve or share at a St. Patrick’s Day gathering, thanks to the vibrant green color.
I enjoyed eating this over greens with plantain chips on the side. It would also be fantastic with grain-free lime tortilla chips, in a grain-free tortilla or lettuce wrap, on top of a baked sweet potato, or with sliced veggies. Lots of possibilities to say the least!
Cheers and enjoy!
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cubed (roughly 1 lb or so of meat)
- 1 large avocado, sliced into quarters and peeled
- 1 small lime, juiced
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (leave some seeds in if you want it spicier)
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large bowl, mash the avocado. Add the all the remaining ingredients, except the chicken and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Next, add the chicken into the avocado mixture and stir well to coat.
- Serve over greens, with sliced veggies, plantain chips, or in a grain-free tortilla or lettuce wrap.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.