Spring is less than a month away, as hard as it may be to believe some days. With its approach in mind, I got to thinking about springy flavors – things like lemon, dill, peas and so on. Contemplating what to make, it suddenly hit me…a spring chicken salad recipe. It’s not very often I share lunch recipes anyway, so it seemed like another good reason to run with it. Plus, I love chicken salad, despite the fact that I rarely make it. I become a creature of habit when it comes to lunch foods and generally stick to the same things, so this is a refreshing change.
I’m sure this would be just as tasty without the addition of the mayo, but I love homemade mayo or a high-quality one like this brand. It adds a little extra creaminess and tang too, which I enjoy. But, if you don’t have any on hand or just don’t like it, you can leave it out. Personally, I never liked mayo until I made it myself. It is way different than what you may know as mayo. Really, it might as well be frosting because it’s that good. I do have another chicken salad recipe that’s tropical-inspired and more mayo-based if you want to check that one out HERE.
Also, stay tuned because next month, on March 20 (also the first day of spring!), I’ll be featuring this recipe LIVE on KATU Afternoon Live. I’ll share the segment when that time comes. UPDATE: watch the replay of my segment HERE.
Cheers and enjoy!
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (roughly 1 lb or so of meat)
- 1 large avocado, sliced into quarters and pitted
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1.5 tsp dried dill
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, rinsed under warm water to thaw
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 Tbsp homemade avocado oil mayo or use a high-quality brand like this one
- Place shredded chicken in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Remove avocado peels and place avocado in a large bowl. Mash well with a fork and then add the lemon juice, sea salt, black pepper, dried dill, mayo, carrot, green onion and peas. Stir well with a spatula until mixed well. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Pour avocado mixture into the bowl with the shredded chicken and stir well. Store in refrigerator.
- Serve in a lettuce wrap, over greens or with veggie slices and/or plantain chips.